Bedroom Closet Organization and Cleaning Tips
Closet Organization Tips
Your bedroom closet is one place you should clean every season. It’s the perfect time discard unused items and to pick up everything that’s on the floor and use a Kirby vacuum to clean up any dust bunnies that have snuck in.
Be sure to filter through your off-season clothing items and get rid of anything you didn’t wear during those months. Chances are if you didn’t wear them this year, you likely won’t wear them next year. Also, try on this season’s clothes as you pull them out of storage. Anything that doesn’t fit or you no longer like should be discarded or donated.
Don’t forget to go through the following items:
- Only keep matching sets of gloves, socks, slippers – anything that comes in pairs – odds are you’ll never find the lost one.
- Try on all your pants and jeans and only keep what fits you right now, not what will fit if you lose ten pounds.
- Use your Kirby duster brush and other vacuum attachments to clean the floor and shelving in your closet.
- Clean out shoes that you haven’t worn to make room for new purchases. Get rid of anything that is out of date or that you haven’t worn in a while.
If you’re still unsure about getting rid of your items, ask yourself a few questions. Do I have an upcoming event I’ll wear this to? When is the last time I wore this? Would I rather keep this item or get back that extra closet space? Does this reflect my current style? We often hold on to items because we used to really like them, but our style changes over time. If you feel guilty just throwing perfectly good clothes or shoes away, have a garage sale or make a big donation. Knowing that someone in need will benefit from your unwanted item should leave you guilt-free.
Now that you have removed your unwanted items, sort through what’s left. Arrange pants and skirts together, like-colored tops, and anything else that makes sense for you. Consider the items you reach for the most and keep them front and center, while tucking away lesser used items to the sides
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Wash or dry-clean any of your seasonal garments before storing them and make sure you only keep what you wore.
- If you went the entire past season without wearing an item of clothing, it’s probably a sign that it’s time to get rid of it.
- Donate any apparel that you don’t want and go through your clothes as you pull them from storage.
- Be sure to plan ahead and make room in your closets for any upcoming wardrobe additions.
After all this, you’ll know exactly what you have on-hand and what you still need, plus unwanted clothing that’s ready to be donated.