Welcome to the Kirby Family
Thank you for your purchase of a Kirby home care system.
We’re committed to helping you get the most out of your new cleaner. This page will help you find answers to some of the most common questions we receive. You can also contact us directly at 1-800-437-7170 for assistance.
A similar Welcome Page for Sentria II model owners is available here:
Frequently Asked Questions:
To remove the Power Nozzle:
- With the unit off and unplugged, press the bottom Toe-Touch Control pedal all the way down.
- Raise the Headlight Hood. Flip out the handle on the Belt Lifter. Use it to turn the Belt Lifter counterclockwise until the red arrows line up.
- Turn the Accessory Lock counterclockwise to release the Power Nozzle. Lift the Nozzle Away and attach the hose, shampoo system, or other accessory as desired. Lower the Headlight Hood.
To Re-Attach the Power Nozzle:
- Follow the steps above to remove the hose, shampoo system, or any other accessory that is attached to the front of the unit.
- Check to make sure the belt on the Power Nozzle is stretched on the hook inside. If not, flip out the handle on the Belt Lifter and turn it counterclockwise until the red arrows line up. The hook should catch and stretch the belt inside the Power Nozzle.
- Rest the two hooks on the rear of the Power Nozzle over the attaching bar on the front of the unit. Push the Power Nozzle against the unit and turn the accessory lock clockwise to lock it in place.
- Flip out the handle on the Belt Lifter and turn it clockwise until the green arrows line up. This will release the belt from the hook so that it will spin the brush roll.
The safety switches will not allow the unit to turn on unless the Power Nozzle, Hose, Carpet Shampoo System, or Air Intake Guard is properly attached to the front of the unit. AND, the Mini Emtor, Shampoo Tank, or Hose is properly attached to the side of the unit. Check both to ensure proper installation.
Common reasons why the unit is not picking up dirt:
- Not at the proper height: If the nozzle is too high off the floor, the brush will not contact the floor and will not clean properly. Lower or raise the unit by pressing the Toe Touch control pedal on the side of the unit.
- Brush Roll is not turning: If the Brush Roll Indicator light on the nozzle is not on, the Brush Roll is not turning freely, the belt is slipping, broken or not engaged. To engage the Brush Roll, flip out the Belt Lifter handle and turn it clockwise until the green arrows line up.
- Full bag: Check the disposable filter bag to see if it is full. If it is, replace with a new filter bag.
It is likely that the Belt is not turning freely on the Brush Roll. Flip out the Belt Lifter handle and turn it clockwise until the green arrows line up. This will release the belt from the inner hook so that it can turn freely on the Brush Roll. Also check the Brush Roll for tangled hairs or debris that may prevent it from turning freely.
To change the Belt:
- Turn off and unplug the unit. Raise the front of the Power Nozzle using the Toe Touch Control Pedals on the side of the unit. Raise the Headlight Hood.
- Flip out the Handle on the Belt Lifter and turn it counterclockwise until the red arrows line up. Turn the Accessory Lock counterclockwise to release the Power Nozzle. Lift it away from the unit.
- Turn the Power Nozzle over and unlock the Rug Plate by unhooking the two latches on the rear of the Power Nozzle. Pull on the rear edge of the Rug Plate to remove.
- Note the bristle height setting which is marked on the end of the Brush Roll before lifting it out of the nozzle. Slide off the old belt and replace with a new one.
- Make sure the numbers on the Brush Roll end caps are the same on both sides before inserting it into the Power Nozzle. Place the belt and Brush Roll back into the Power Nozzle. One of the Brush Roll ends is larger than the other. The Brush Roll will only fit in the Power Nozzle one way.
- Center the Belt on the Brush Roll. Place the Rug Plate on the front of the Bumper first and then pull it over the rear. Secure it in place with the two latches.
- Turn the Belt Lifter counterclockwise until the red arrows line up.
- Reattach the Nozzle to the unit.
Be sure to use only genuine Kirby carpet shampoo with your system. Unscrew the large cap from the top of the shampoo tank. Use it to measure Carpet Shampoo, not the cap from the bottle of shampoo. To clean a small room, fill the tank with water to the first line on the side of the tank. Then, add one capful of shampoo. To clean a large room, fill the tank to the third line and add three capfuls of shampoo.
In order to produce foam properly, the Suds Screen and the foam sponge must be in place on the shampoo tank. Remove the tank and check that both are properly in place.
Common causes for carpet that is too wet after shampooing:
- Suds Screen and/or Foam Sponge not in place: This allowed too much water to dispense, over-wetting the carpet.
- Cleaning the same area repeatedly: You may have shampooed the carpet several times in the same area. To avoid over-wetting in the future, allow the system to dispense a layer of foam on the carpet. Then, turn the valve on the shampoo tank to OFF before going back over the area to work in the foam and scrub the carpet. It is usually not necessary to dispense foam in the same area multiple times.
Three Year Limited Warranty:
- Every Kirby system is backed by a three year limited warranty.
- More information on the warranty is available here.
Lifetime Rebuild Plan:
- Registered owners (as marked on the Owner Registration Card at the time of purchase), may elect, during their ownership, to have our Rebuild Department rebuild their used Kirby vacuum to “like new” condition.
- For pricing and additional information on the Rebuild Plan, please call 1-800-437-7170.
How To Videos:
Get started cleaning right away with these short videos.
Complete Instructional Materials:
The complete Owner’s Manual and Owner’s Video for your new Kirby home care system are just a click away.
- Avalir Owner’s Video
Parts & Supplies:
Keep your Kirby system running at optimal performance for years to come by using only genuine Kirby replacement parts and supplies. Filter bags, carpet shampoo, replacement belts and more are available from your local Kirby Distributor or by calling 1-800-437-7170.
Optional financing of Kirby home care systems is available from several finance companies. Kirby systems are not financed by The Kirby Company. If you have questions about payments or your finance plan, please refer to your purchase agreement or to the paperwork from your finance company for the contact information to reach them directly.
New Kirby home care systems are sold by independent, authorized Kirby Distributors. Your Distributor is your best source for parts, supplies, and service of your new Kirby system. If you are unable to locate the phone number of your local Distributor, please use our online zip code search tool to look up the information. Search Now
Serial Number of Your System:
Each Kirby home care system has a unique serial number engraved next to the air exhaust port. Please have this number handy when calling our Consumer Relations Department. With this number, the representative can help you locate your independent Kirby Distributor and can most readily answer questions about your specific unit.
Still have questions? Give us a call at 1-800-437-7170 (USA & Canada). Our support staff is here to help.