CARPET CLEANING TIPS
The uses for your Kirby Home Cleaning System don’t end with you cleaning carpet. It works just as well on your rugs, too! To maintain the beauty and functionality of your rugs, use the following tips for cleaning your area rug:
- Vacuum your large area rugs as often as you vacuum your carpets. Remember, identify your high traffic areas in your home and clean those weekly to keep your floors looking like new!
- If a rug is reversible, be sure to vacuum both sides as dirt and grime can prematurely wear out your rug.
- Rotate your rugs on an annual basis to avoid wear and tear on certain areas.
- In the canister, or hand-held mode, use the Kirby Surface Nozzle attachment to vacuum delicate area rugs. It uses suction power only to clean without a spinning brush roll.
- If you need to to clean an area rug that’s lightweight, try adding the Suction Control Grip to the hose. This attachment allows you to reduce the amount of suction if the full power of the vacuum is too strong.
- For small rugs, or rugs with pet hair embedded in them, try using the Kirby Zippbrush to clean the rug. This attachment will become your new best friend.
How to Clean a Large Area Rug
By changing the settings on your Kirby Avalir 2 Home Cleaning System, you can also use the upright mode to clean many types of area rugs. Use the Toe-Touch Control to raise or lower the cleaning height of the vacuum, and use the Belt Lifter to start or stop the brush roll to accommodate your specific area rug.
For fur, sheepskin or hair-on hide rugs, we recommend you do not use your vacuum. These require special attention to maintain the fur and we recommend following rug cleaning instructions on the tags.
If the area rugs you bought to add style and personality to your room are dingy and dirty, they’re not doing their job. Luckily, cleaning them doesn’t have to be much work. Gone are the days when people would shake out area rugs or beat them thanks to your versatile Kirby Home Cleaning System!
With all the nooks and crannies, sometimes cleaning your stairs can seem impossible. Getting into corners and cleaning each individual stair can be difficult with an upright vacuum.
The Kirby Avalir 2 Home Cleaning System gives you two powerful ways to clean your stairs:
1. The Portable Carpet Cleaning Mode
This gives you the full power of the Kirby upright in a smaller size that is easier to maneuver cleaning carpet on your stairs.
- Convert your Kirby System to a portable hand-held vacuum by removing the upright handle and attaching the portable handle.
- After attaching the portable handle, place the Kirby System on one of the carpeted stairs.
- Put the TechDrive® pedal in neutral and turn the unit on.
- Roll the cleaner back and forth so that the brush roll agitates the carpeting and loosens the dirt.
2. The Canister Mode
Stop messing with weak hand-held vacuum cleaners and use your Kirby Avalir 2 Home Cleaning System to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Your Kirby vacuum includes several carpet cleaning attachments to clean your stairs with ease.
- The optional Zipp brush attachment is perfect for steps; the spinning brush dislodges embedded dirt and debris.
- The crevice tool makes it easy to clean corners and edges.
- The upholstery tool can also be used to loosen dirt on carpeted steps.
Need some additional tips on how to vacuum stairs? Learn more about your Avalir’s capabilities by reading your Kirby owner manual.
Many people don’t realize it, but dirt and grime can settle on the walls of your home. Even if you don’t have wallpaper, you could be accumulating dust without even knowing it.
Don’t panic. There’s a very simple way to keep your walls and ceiling dust-free for your next get-together.
Let the clean freak in you take over with the Kirby wall and ceiling attachment. The attachment is perfect for this due to its bristles that prevent scratching walls, while also helping to loosen any stuck-on dirt.
Use our tips and tricks to learn the best ways for how to clean ceilings and walls:
- The wide surface area of the ceiling and wall brush attachment makes it easy to clean large sections of walls in no time at all.
- When used with the angled Suction Control Grip, your Kirby brush can be angled to reach the top of bookshelves, window sills and ledges.
- Can be used to clean dust from the top of ceiling fan blades.
- If you angle it sideways, you can even reach into corners to remove cobwebs.
- Brush is flat enough to vacuum walls behind the TV which build up dust from the static electricity of the TV.
- The multi-functional design can be used to vacuum both flat and sloped ceilings.
- Don’t forget to reach behind hutches and large pieces of furniture. Lots of dirt hides back there.
Make sure you’re getting the most cleaning power from your Kirby Avalir 2 Home Cleaning System!
It’s easy to transform your Kirby Home Cleaning System into a straight suction vacuum for hardwood floors. Straight suction prevents the brush roll from spinning and avoids potential scratching of delicate wood floors.
- Use the belt lifter to disengage the brush roll. This will prevent the brush roll from spinning and will allow the Kirby System to clean using suction power only.
- Put TechDrive® Power Assist in neutral to prevent the rear wheels from spinning.
- For added protection, you can attach the optional Kirby Hard Floor Pad.
You can also convert your system and use the Floor Nozzle to clean hard floors.
The Kirby Avalir 2 Home Cleaning System is designed to handle the hardwood floors in your home with ease and efficiency.
Don’t let your guests smell little Fluffy before they walk in the door and see little Fluffy. Pet odor can be a difficult thing to overcome especially with our four-legged friends living in the same room you are trying to carpet clean! Luckily, using these tips will help keep your home free of pet odors.
- CARPET CLEAN OFTEN – This is your primary defense against pet odor and allergens. A good rule of thumb is to vacuum once per week per resident of your home (including your pets). Identify your high traffic areas help you know exactly where to clean weekly.
- CLEAN OFTEN AND CLEAN EARLY – Often pet odor lingers even after it’s cleaned up! If an accident isn’t cleaned up right away, urine, vomit or other stinky bio-organic liquids can seep down into your carpet below the surface. Light cleaning may remove the majority of the carpet stain but residual odors remain if you don’t deep clean your carpet.
- SCENTED SHAMPOO AND DEODORIZER – Kirby Carpet Shampoo has a wonderful lavender fragrance that makes your home smell clean and fresh. After your carpet dries, apply HomeFresh Carpet Deodorizer before vacuuming to enhance the fragrance level in your home.