Summer Cleaning Guide
A Guide to Summer Cleaning with Kirby
Table of Contents: Start Your Summer Cleaning
- An Introduction to Summer Cleaning
- Living Room Cleaning Tips
- Bedroom Cleaning Tips
- Kitchen Cleaning Tips
- Bathroom Cleaning Tips
- Garage Cleaning Tips
- Summer Cleaning Checklist
Summer may be in full swing, but your home is still recovering from winter and spring. Luckily, it’s never too late to start summer cleaning!
Summer is a time for picnics, barbeques and pool parties, but it’s also a time for allergies, dirt, bugs and food fights. Start your summer cleaning now and you’ll get to enjoy the rest of the season in a clean home.
Also remember that while you think you might be getting a late start by beginning your cleaning mid-summer, keep in mind that this is a good time for home maintenance and cleaning companies. Look for summer discounts from gutter installers, window washers and other professional services.
Where to begin? There’s no better place to start your summer cleaning than your sofa. It is the one place in your living room that suffers the most wear and tear. If your sofa looks clean, everything else in the room will instantly look cleaner.
Use the following ideas to start cleaning your living room:
- Use the Kirby duster brush attachment to remove built-up dust from tabletops, chairs, table legs, bookshelves and knick knacks.
- Use the Kirby extension wands to search for cobwebs in hard-to-reach areas such as ceiling corners and under furniture.
- Use the crevice tool on your Kirby vacuum to clean crumbs, lint and dust that have accumulated under cushions and along the baseboards of the floor.
- To help keep your home safe from germs, clean all commonly touched areas with disinfectant wipes. Be sure to check light switches, phones, doorknobs and lamp switches.
- Use glass cleaner to clean both the insides and outsides of your windows. Remove screens and wipe in the window tracks. Use the Kirby duster brush to vacuum window blinds.
- Use your Kirby Avalir vacuum cleaner to shine your hard wood floors and to vacuum any carpeting in your living room.
- This is a good time to update photo frames with new pictures of your family and friends as well as remove any unnecessary clutter that has built-up over time.
While your bedroom may not be a high-traffic area in your home, it can still accumulate piles of laundry, dust and papers. Your summer cleaning routine is the perfect time to remove any clutter so you can reclaim your space and sleep in peace.
Use the following ideas to effectively clean your bedroom:
- Before removing the sheets on your bed, use your Kirby vacuum in the portable mode to vacuum the mattress.
- Remove all sheets from your beds and wash all comforters, pillows and drapes.
- Dust all dressers, knick knacks, bed frames and other surfaces in your room with the Kirby duster brush.
- To help keep your bedroom safe from germs, clean all commonly touched areas with disinfectant wipes. Be sure to wipe television remotes, light switch covers and door knobs.
- Put away any clothes that have accumulated into piles in your bedroom and wash any dirty laundry.
- Use your summer cleaning as the perfect time to clean out the clutter that has built-up under your bed. Remove what you don’t need and purchase storage containers to store any things you do decide to keep.
- Use the Kirby surface nozzle attached to the vacuum hose to vacuum under your bed.
- Move furniture so you can deeply clean your carpets with your Kirby vacuum cleaner.
As one of the most high-traffic areas in your home, your kitchen can greatly benefit from a seasonal deep cleaning. Keep your kitchen comfortable for your family all year long by investing in quality cleaning during the summer months.
Use the following ideas to give your kitchen a solid summer cleaning:
- Remove all food from your cabinets and refrigerator. Vacuum all cupboards with the Kirby vacuum hose and wash out your refrigerator with soap and water.
- Throw away all outdated and spoiled food from your kitchen and donate any canned foods or non-perishables you don’t plan on consuming.
- Give your stove-top a deep cleaning with disinfectant cleaner and run your oven’s cleaning cycle.
- Scrub your chairs, tabletops and table legs. Wash all countertops and wipe up any spills that have managed to go undetected.
- Use the Kirby Multi-Surface Shampoo System to scrub hardwood, tile, and linoleum floors.
- Wash your tablecloth, draperies and any decorative towels or dish cloths that could be collecting dust.
Even with regular cleanings, there can still be dirt, grime and germs hiding in your bathroom. A thorough deep cleaning will keep your bathroom in proper working order all year long.
Use these tips and tricks to give your bathroom a summer cleaning:
- Disinfect everything! In warm bathrooms, bacteria can breed like crazy. Use disinfectant sprays and wipes to clean everything from your showerhead, toilet bowl and sink to your bathtub and trash cans.
- Use a stainless steel cleaner to wipe clean your faucet, showerhead, knobs and other stainless steel appliances.
- Dust all lights, cabinets, window panes and other visible surfaces with the Kirby duster brush to remove any left-behind build-up.
- Use a shower and toilet cleaner to deep clean your bathroom. Even after weekly cleanings, your toilet and shower can still benefit from a deep cleaning.
- Remove any decorative rugs and wash all floors to keep your bathroom clean and germ-free.
Your garage can quickly collect clutter during the cooler months. Use your summer cleaning as the perfect time to remove this built-up clutter and make room for your important backyard equipment.
Use the following summer cleaning tips for your garage:
- Purge all junk that you will never use or that has accumulated during the winter months.
- Back out your cars so you can give your garage floor a good cleaning.
- Use the Kirby Wall and Ceiling brush to vacuum walls to remove any cobwebs or dirt that has collected during the fall and winter.
- Rethink your storage and purchase new containers or a shed to house all necessary equipment.
- Vacuum out your cars to remove any salt, dirt, food or leaves that has hidden your car floor from view. The Kirby Utility Tool works great on floor mats.
What will you need to get started? Use our printable checklist to start shopping for all the tools and cleaning supplies you need to give your home a good summer clean sweep.
- Hard-surface cleaner
- Disinfectant wipes and sprays
- Window and glass cleaner
- Mop and bucket
- Scrub brush
- Storage containers
- Toilet and shower cleaner
- Stainless steel cleaner
- Garbage bags
- And of course your Kirby vacuum cleaner!